wtorek, 21 stycznia 2014

Preparing multiple parts of the same shape

In my scratch build threads on many model making forums I was often asked how am I producing a number of identical pieces. In most cases it is difficult to make only two pieces which would look the same carving them one by one. But what to do if there are even more pieces that need to have the same size, shape and what makes it more difficult - some openings?

The trick is very simple and yet producing multiple parts this way can really improve quality of the bits made this way. I hope this tutorial will be helpful to you and will allow you to prepare accurate and well-fitting pieces for your projects.

First I draw the outlines of the piece I want to replicate and then I print the drawing on adhesive paper. Next I cut out a piece of paper with the drawing and apply it on the material which will eventually become the bit I need. I simply use the drawing as a template.


 Depending on the number of needed pieces I stick together as many layers of the polystyrene sheet as required. In this case I need only two pieces, so it is enough to trace a line parallel to the template.


 And fold the sheet. As you can see I applied only a few dots of CA glue to fix both layers of polystyrene sheet. Remember, the less glue used at this step, the easier it will be to separate the ready pieces and to remove the glue remains.




Nevertheless, the bond has to be strong in order to hold your pieces together during the work - like cutting the outlines.


 If the piece is fragile and there are openings to be made in it, I recommend to start drilling or cutting them out first. Holding a bigger piece (with excess material around) provides good grip while working on openings. In my case the piece is big enough to handle it without risk of breaking the part as I drill and cut out the windows. Once the parts are ready it is time to separate them. It is enough to put a hobby knife blade between the parts and slowly pull the blade towards the other end of the part.


 Finally I remove dry glue remaining on one side of both parts by sanding it down with a fine grade paper file and polish the surface it necessary.



As you can see this way of duplicating pieces is very simple and time saving as you make all operations only once.
 

Brak komentarzy :

Prześlij komentarz